Monday, November 7, 2011

First Day of School

So I had my second first day of school this year. The bus comes at about 650am and we almost missed it today. As we opened the gate to the driveway the bus was getting ready to pull away but Alba honked and got him to stop. Im the first one on the bus in the morning and the bus isnt a typical school bus.. its more like a small greyhound. It goes all through the compound we live in and then towards the school to pick a few more people up. Teachers and students both ride the same bus. It takes about 35 minutes to get to school and you dont really need coffee to wake you up in the morning because the bus driver does it for you! Its pretty busy in the morning and we just fly through traffic, pull out in front of people, and almost rearend everyone... im starting to get used to it now. The school is really big.. mostly because its partly indoor and part outdoor. The hallways are mostly outdoors with a small roof overhead partially.. otherwise to walk from my class to the cafeteria you just walk outside. It rained all day so that made it interesting but it really wasnt to bad. My teacher is nice and pretty cool.. she is lower 30¨s and has taught here for 5 years or something. She showed me around in the morning. She is actually a teacher in the national part of the high school.. whereas I thought I would be in the international part. But it turns out the students know english really well even though most of their other classes are in spanish.  She kinda mixes between each when shes teaching even though its supposed to be all in english.. so that might be a little challenge once I start teaching. I helped out little bit with two of her classes today and they spoke pretty good english to me so it should be alright. The schedule is a lot different. They operate on a 6 day week.. so today was day 5 tomorrow day 6 and Wednesday will be day 1. Each day she has a different number of chemistry classes. So today if I would have been teaching I only would have taught two periods (45mins) out of the eight total during the school day. So today since I had a lot of free time I just worked on planning some things in the library most of the day and went to her two chem classes. In the future Ill probably help out her other class that she teaches and maybe do a few things with the biology teacher and maybe the middle school teacher. Tomorrow I think we have 4 periods of chemistry and then she has 2 periods of her other class. And the classes come at different times.. so today we had chem A during 5th hour and tomorrow we have them during 2nd hour. We had Chem D also today but we dont have them tomorrow but we have Chem B and C tomorrow.. pretty confusing. We also get 2 20 minute breaks.. one in the morning at another at like 1250. My teacher lets the students talk a lot when shes talking which I guess is pretty usual at the school.. so that might be a little challenging when I take over. But overall the day went well and pretty quick. School gets done at 245 but teachers have to stay until 330 because the President mandates it I guess. Then we take a teachers only bus back to our houses. Luckily Im not the last one off but it doesnt drop you off right in front of the house.. in the afternoon we have to walk a few blocks. Luckily today Meghans mom who is also a teacher and lives down the road had her son pick us up so we didnt have to go through the rain. I think I start teaching and taking over in like 1.5 weeks. The staff is pretty young and the school is pretty laid back. Students wear uniforms.. of sweatpants and sweatshirts.. and a lot of the staff just wore jeans and a shirt. There are a few from Michigan and a lot from the States. They were all nice and I might play B-ball or soccer with them later in the week. I think thats it for now.. Ill try to take some pictures of the school this week yet.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty cool Coop Nasty.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an adventure...the bus ride, the class schedule and all. I'm sure you will get in the groove quickly. Just a lot to take in at one time. Just take one day at a time. Praying that you have peace and can really enjoy your time in class with your students. You will do great!!
    Take care, Pam Dreyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crazy driving sounds a lot like riding back from scouting with you! No wonder you are used to it already! You missed a GREAT game on Friday, hopefully we will keep taking care of business!

    Nate

    ReplyDelete